Gumball Grenade Illustrations

AlternateBliss ETSY SHOP - These are my items available for purchase

Monday, November 5, 2007

Happy Childhood Anonymous Meeting! Visit your local chapter.

Standing in a room, people sitting in chairs that have been be set up in a semi circle fashion, "Hi my name is Tanya, and I had a wonderful childhood," she says nervously scuffing her foot across the floor.
She blushes, looks up hesitantly, "I admit it was filled with magical thinking, imaginary play, and I enjoy reflecting on my childhood. Thank you." She sits down and the next speaker begins.

There I said it...and its such a relief to get that off my chest. Whew.



I recently stumbled across an artist that captures so much of what childhood was like for me. His paintings have a beautiful, magical, and reflective sense about them. Here let me show you what I'm talking about.




Joseph Blake's Bio
"My friends always tell me that I walk, looking down at my feet, as if I've lost something or I'm waiting for my legs to grow..."
... my parents gambled two decades ago and adopted a boy from Korea without ever seeing a picture. My mom had plenty of pretty names that she wanted to give her new son, but my father saved the boy by giving me his.
I started pushing paint around in high school, and later graduated from Rhode Island School of Design in 2005. At first, painting was my way to stand out from my peers and avoid gym. But in college, where everybody was new, I made pictures to connect.
When I returned home, my childhood friends' stories were more colorful, my parent's familiar rituals were funnier, and my room never felt smaller. I saw potential characters and stories in every waking moment. This was also the first time that I really felt like I was observing and using a sketchbook. I wanted to entertain others with the little things I experienced.
And in those moments I found another purpose for making pictures... storytelling. I'm currently making my way as an illustrator in Philadelphia, while learning storyboarding and traditional animation. I don't get the chance to meet everyone who views my work now, but I love that people get to know me first through my pictures."



*Please note that all image copyrights belong to Joseph Blake. Thanks Joseph.

No comments: